If you decide to go camping near a lake, kayaking is something that you should try. There are so many things that you can do if there is a lake nearby and bringing a kayak with you will surely be an excellent experience for you and your family.
However, you can’t just buy the first kayak that you see. It is an expensive piece of equipment, so you need to look for the best kayak for camping before you decide to spend your hard-earned money.
You don’t need to worry because we will list down some of the best kayaks that you can buy on the, including a detailed explanation of their notable features, pros, and cons.
Best Kayak for Camping: Our Top Picks
Looking for a kayak can be a bit difficult if you don’t have any idea what to look for, and you don’t know how to use it. Finding one would be easier if you already have a list of brands that are very popular with users around the globe. Thus, the three products we will discuss are all from Intex.
1. Intex Explorer K2 Kayak
The Intex Explorer K2 Kayak is extremely sporty, and it has a streamlined design that would enable you to paddle easily. This is the perfect kayak for beginners, and you will quickly learn how to use it.
This kayak offers the following:
- Puncture-Resistant Vinyl Construction: This is one of the reasons this kayak is popular. It makes the kayak durable and capable of withstanding corrosion and rust. It is also moisture- and abrasion-resistant.
- Better Stability: The Intex Explorer K2 Kayak has an overall width of three feet or 91 centimeters, so it is very stable in calm water. Since it is wider compared with other kayaks, there is little to no flipping and wobbling while you’re paddling.
- Speed: This kayak is perfect for recreational trips as it is very lightweight. When it comes to speed, it is definitely the best, and you can reach your destination faster as compared with other kayaks.
- Tracking: Compared to other lightweight kayaks, the Intex Explorer K2 Kayak tracks well. It will stay on the intended path throughout the trip because of the removable skeg that you can install in the kayak. This will keep your kayak in a straight line and offers amazing tracking.
- Comfortable Seating: The Explorer K2 actually comes with two inflatable seats that you can remove. These seats are incredibly comfortable even if you sit on it for two to three hours straight.
- Carrying Capacity: This is one of the unique selling points of the Explorer K2 as it can carry up to 400 pounds of body weight. It means that it can carry two average weighing adults.
- Easy to use
- Made for beginners
- Amazing tracking
- Comfortable to use
- Great stability
- Rear seats get congested
2. Intex Challenger K2 Kayak
Made by a company with more than four decades in the industry, the Intex Challenger K2 Kayak offers amazing features while being extremely affordable.
The things you’d expect from this kayak include:
- Handling: The Intex Challenger K2 Kayak is an 11.5-inch long boat that is very easy to handle. It usually rides low when it is in the water, so it is easier to get in and out. It is also more stable and easier to paddle compared to other kayaks. As for its tracking, it actually has a long skeg, so it will have better tracking.
- Two-Person Design: This kayak is made for a total of two persons with a maximum weight limit of 400 pounds. It is made for lakes and mild rivers, and you can use it for long hours if you want.
- Comfortable and Spacious Cockpit: The cockpit includes two inflatable seats as well as backrests. It is very comfortable to use, although the rear seat usually gets congested when you install both of the seats.
- Cargo Net: The kayak features a cargo net to help keep your essentials in place while you are kayaking.
- Inclusions: The Intex Challenger K2 Kayak comes with two 86-inch aluminum oars, a repair patch kit, and a high-capacity pump.
- Great stability
- Very durable
- Comfortable seats
- Cargo net included
- Better handling
- The rear seat becomes a little congested
3. Intex Excursion Pro Kayak
This is the most expensive among the three kayaks on this list, but this is definitely the best as it comes with features that the other two kayaks don’t have.
Coming from the company’s professional series, this kayak boasts the following:
- Comfort: The Intex Excursion Pro Kayak is popular for the incredible comfort it provides. The seats are removable, and you can adjust them depending on your preference. There is also a backrest to provide support to your back, especially during long trips.
- Made of Sturdy Materials: The kayak is made from extremely tough laminate PVC along with a polyester core. It is also lightweight and resistant to damage, such as abrasion, sunlight, and impact.
- High-Pressure Inflation: This particular feature can make sure that the kayak will be stable while you are using it. The Intex Excursion Pro Kayak also has spring-loaded valves that would allow you to inflate and deflate the kayak quickly.
- Other Accessories: The kayak comes with two removal skews, two floor-mounted footrests, two adjustable bucket seats as well as two recessed fishing rod holders.
- Great stability and handling
- Made from high-quality materials
- Comes with various accessories
- Extremely durable
- Has brackets for fishing devices like GPS and fishfinders
- Low-quality oars
If you want to find the best kayak for camping, make sure that you check out all of the features before you make a decision. There are a lot of cheap kayaks in the market, and it is very easy for you to be tricked into buying something that would break in just a couple of uses.
All of the kayaks mentioned above are great options since a reliable company manufactures them, but when it comes to overall comfort, durability, and usability, the Excursion Pro Kayak is your best bet.