Knives are essential when camping since you need something sharp to cut through anything that needs cutting. If you are going to prepare food, you need a knife to cut the ingredients. If you will set-up your canopy or tent and other equipment on the camping site, you always need a knife just in case you need to cut something.
However, you cannot simply bring any knife on the camping site. It would help if you had a multi-purpose knife meant for camping. You have to look for the best knife for camping to handle all of the cutting and slicing tasks.
Best Knife for Camping: Your Top Options
Yes, it would help if you were very meticulous when it comes to knives, as you cannot simply bring a kitchen knife to deal with everything. There are certain emergencies where a kitchen knife won’t be able to help you, so you need a knife made solely for camping and hiking. Here are three of the best options:
1. Smith & Wesson Extreme Ops Folding Knife
Over the years, Smith & Wesson knives have always been known for their prestige and quality. Their knives have amazing features that would provide convenience to you, especially when you are camping or hiking.
This particular folding knife by Smith & Wesson offers the following:
- Dimensions: The Smith & Wesson Extreme Ops Folding Knife has an overall length of 18 centimeters or 7.1 inches. The length of the blade is 7.9 centimeters or 3.1 inches. It only weighs around 3.5 ounces, so it is effortless to use and hold.
- Durability: In terms of durability, this folding knife is always at the top because the blade is made of black oxide high carbon stainless steel. The handle is aluminum, so it won’t be damaged easily even when you accidentally dropped it.
- Convenience: Since it is a folding knife, it is incredibly convenient to use because it is so small that it would fit inside your pocket. It also contains a pocket clip, finger flipper, as well as thumb knobs, so it is ideal for carrying during your camping or hiking trip.
- Safe to Use: The knife is extremely safe to use, and it will not slip from your hands because of its liner lock.
- Comfortable Grip: The handle of the Smith & Wesson Extreme Ops Folding Knife has a textured material as well as finger indentions so that you can grip it firmly when using it.
- Easy to hold
- Convenient to use
- Can handle tough tasks
- Sharp blade
- Lock gets stuck sometimes
2. Gerber Paraframe Mini Knife
The Gerber Paraframe Mini Knife is considered as the smallest knife in the Paraframe series. It is also one of the most useful as you can literally bring it anywhere due to its size.
Don’t be tricked by its small size because it can do tough tasks that larger knives can handle. It has a simple design and very easy to use.
Some of the things this small knife can offer include:
- Dimensions: The Gerber Paraframe Mini Knife has an overall length of 5.25 inches while the blade length is 2.22 inches. When closed, the length is 3.07 inches, and it weighs 1.4 ounces.
- Sharp and Tough Blade: Even if the knife is extremely small, it is sharp and durable since the blade is made from high carbon stainless steel. It can cut through even the toughest vines in the campsite without chipping or breaking.
- Sturdy Handle: The handle is made from stainless steel, so even if you accidentally dropped the knife, it won’t be damaged easily.
- Convenient to Use: The Gerber Paraframe Mini Knife is very convenient to use as it is effortless to clean. You can also carry it because it is lightweight and you can open and close the knife with ease.
- Frame Lock: It also features a frame lock that would hold the blade when it is open and keep it safe when closed. This will guarantee that the knife would be able to cut through anything without folding.
- Small and easy to carry
- Made from sturdy materials
- Fine edge blade
- Very hard to fold
3. Kershaw Brawler Folding Pocket Knife
Kershaw became famous for creating high performance, exceptional, and high-quality working tools and knives that are also very affordable. They use the best materials to make sure that the consumers would be able to enjoy the products that they create. The Kershaw Brawler Folding Pocket Knife is one of the knives that made Kershaw popular in the market.
The Kershaw knife boasts a lot of great features, including:
- Blade: The Kershaw Brawler Folding Pocket Knife is known for its three-inch tanto-style blade made from stainless steel. It showcases amazing edge retention and resistance to corrosion. It also provides a beautiful black-oxide finish.
- Handle: The handle is made from nylon scales filled with black glass. It provides a comfortable grip to the users.
- SpeedSafe Opening: This particular feature would enable you to use the knife safely and allows you to open and close it smoothly.
- Safety: It features thumb studs, a secure liner lock, and a four-position pocket clip to make sure that you won’t hurt your hand while using the knife.
- One-Handed Flipper: If you want to activate a smooth instant open, you can push on the thumb stud or press the flipper. Left and right-handed users can operate this feature, and it is very safe to use as it locks into place immediately.
- Made from high-quality materials
- Comfortable grip
- One-handed flipper
- Assisted opening
- Black oxide coating comes off quickly
Looking for the best knife for camping can be a bit of a challenge for you, but if you already have some ideas on what to buy, it won’t be too difficult. Among the three camping knives mentioned above, the best one is the Kershaw Brawler Folding Pocket Knife.
In terms of quality and features, Kershaw Brawler Folding Pocket Knife is definitely a cut above the rest. The smooth opening, as well as the safety features it offers, is something that some camping knives don’t have.